- Sugar is the sweet molecules that form the building block of carbohydrates. Our body uses sugar as the main nutrient for generation of energy
- Carbohydrates are sugars that come in 2 main forms – simple and complex.
- Simple carbohydrates or simple sugars contain 1 or 2 sugar molecules
- Complex carbohydrates contain 3 or more sugar molecules
- Our body can only absorb the simplest form of sugar – Monosaccharides (1 molecule sugar)
- Glucose – from Grape; Dextrose – from Corn; Fructose – from Fruits; Lactose – from Dairy Milk
- Both complex and simple carbohydrates will have to be digested and broken down to monosaccharides in the guts before it can be absorbed into the blood stream
- Consuming complex carbohydrates to avoid too much sugar in the blood is essential to good health
Sugar replacement product are either synthetic chemicals or natural food extracts as well as food that taste sweet and can replace sugar in the diet. They are better for health as it contains much less calories than sugar.
- Stevia from leaves, xylitol from corn cobs, erythritol from maize, and monk fruit extracts are sugar substitutes with zero to very low calories.
- Natural sugars like maple syrup, molasses, and honey are less harmful than regular sugar and even have health benefits.